My addiction to Pinterst has led me to be more crafty lately, which is really a good thing. I have neglected my crafty side for too long. I saw a variety of different wreaths on Pinterest and came up with an idea to make a pompom wreath. Eventually I found one very similar, in different colors, on Pinterest too. I used to make wreaths all the time, and even sold some for a while at local craft shows. That was at least 18 years ago. More recently I made Christmas wreaths. I have not made any Valentine's decorations lately, so this project was overdue!
See, I have a love for the pompom. There isn't much use for them in daily life, especially when you are an adult. I'm not sure why I love making them so much, but as far back as I can remember, I always enjoyed wrapping yarn and snipping, snipping, snipping the ends until I had the perfect pompom ball.
So, after deciding my color theme for my wreath, I dug through my yarn stash and added a skein of very inexpensive yarn from the craft store. Then I dug out my Clover pompom makers....they are a great little tool for making various sized pompoms. It took about a week or so on and off in my spare time at night to make all of the pompoms. Sharp scissors are really important! I ended up with around 40 pompoms in various sizes and colors. I also had lots of yarn dust everywhere from all that snipping and shaping.
Using a styrofoam wreath form, I wrapped it with a single strand of red yarn until the entire wreath was covered. I tucked the end in, although I suppose it could have been glued too. At first I thought I would pin the pompoms on the wreath, but then decided to hot glue them instead. It was quick and easy to do and it turned out great. Before gluing, I decided on placement of the largest pompoms, then added more and more going from largest to smallest, filling in the gaps with the smallest ones.
Once all the pompoms I had made had been attached, mainly to just the front surface of the wreath form, I hung the wreath and decided it needed more pompoms. Seeing it on the door at a different angle helped me see the gaps where I needed to add more. It cost under $10 to make and looks great! My son has requested that I make him one for his room in rainbow colors. Time to search the yarn stash again!