Every fall and spring I take the time to evaluate my son's wardrobe needs and make a mental list of what is missing: hoodies, jeans, winter boots, etc. Then I shop. I've had good luck hitting clearance sales at local stores, but I also try to visit at least one consignment sale and store too, as there are certain items that I've found in the past at great deals. About a month ago I sold his old things at a local consignment sale. Being a "consignee" is a great way to clear out closets at home, make a little money for new items, and recycle and reuse things instead of sending them to a landfill.
So why shop at a consignment sale?
- Huge savings! Many items are up to 90% off original retail
- Environmentally friendly. Reusing and recycling isn't just fashionable, it's smart for our planet.
- Great place to find special items, such as holiday clothes, fancy dress clothes, and dress shoes, many often barely worn.
- Winter Coats, Rain Coats, Spring Jackets, snow and rain boots. Kids grow so fast and these items are not worth spending full retail price on them.
- Toys. There are so many toys available at consignment sales and many times they are new in box. It's a great way to buy some holiday or birthday gifts. You never know what treasure you'll find, like the tool belt my son discovered at a recent sale that he had wanted forever. It was only $5!
- Halloween costumes and accessories at low prices.
- Baby equipment. Having a baby or wanting to have an extra bouncey seat for grandma's house? Babies grow out of equipment fast and usually leaving them in great condition. Find strollers, carriers, pack and plays, jumpers, etc for low cost.
- It's fun! Get a babysitter and go with some friends to shop. Then go out afterwards to compare your loot!
Just Between Friends Sale
Starting today and through this Saturday is the Just Between Friends consignment sale in Oaks, PA at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center. I had the chance to preview the sale on media day and was astounded at the quantity of goods there. They have about 700 consignors, with a floor space of 35000 square feet filled with merchandise! It was the largest consignment sale I've ever seen and was incredibly well organized. I was able to purchase a couple of pairs of pjs, a beautiful knit vest for the holidays and a cute Halloween shirt for my son. I also found two DVDs for him, Peter Pan and the Rescuers, for $3 each, as well as a game and a cool responsibility chart that I've put away for the holidays. All for $36! If you are in the Philadelphia area, this was an easy sale to get to and shop. Check it out! And if you miss the sale in Oaks, they are also hosting a sale later this month in Reading, PA. See the Just Between Friends Sale website for details regarding hours of operation.
I posted a while back a list of tips and tricks for shopping effectively at a consignment sale. Check out that post for more information on how to shop at a consignment sale.
Disclosure: I was invited to preview the sale and received a gift certificate to shop as part of the media event. My thoughts shared here are genuine, as I've been a fan of consignment sales since becoming a parent.