It's Summer! School is out and we have 76 days of summertime fun ahead of us. (Not sure how Phineas and Ferb manage to get 104 days of summer...that's a really long summer vacation!) Every summer we call it the "Summer of Fun" because it means we get to see friends we don't normally see that much during the school year and we go on fun adventures. I made a list of activities to do this summer so that on days when we are struggling to find something fun, I can refer to this list for inspiration. My son has three different weeks of mini-camps planned, but the rest of the summer is un-programed. After discussing ideas of what he would like to do, I came up with a “bucket list” for the summer. Some of the activities could be done multiple times, while others are one-and-done. Most of the activities are nearby (suburban Philadelphia,) but I included a few that are ones that require travel and a few overnights.
In my list I inclueded sunny day fun, rainy day fun, at home fun, mini adventures, and trips. We have memberships to several area family friendly places, so to me those are freebie trips, since I won't have to pay admission. Those include the Franklin Institute, The Elmwood Park Zoo, Sesame Place, The Morris Arboretum, and Longwood Gardens. (Family membership is really a great deal for places you think you will visit several times a year. I have found great discounts offered on some memberships via coupon sites. Another way to save on a membership is to share it with a friend by registering the two friends together as a family.) I also discovered that our local library has a number of family passes to local establishments that can be borrowed!
Summer Bucket List
- Pick Strawberries
- Climb to the top of the Barnegat Lighthouse
- Watch the sunset and sunrise at the beach
- Play mini-golf
- Visit the Liberty Bell
- Visit the US Mint
- Visit the SEPTA museum
- Visit the Franklin Institute
- Visit Longwood Gardens
- Visit the Morris Arboretum
- Visit the Elmwood Park Zoo and feed the giraffes
- Visit the Philadelphia Zoo
- Bounce at Jumping Jacks
- Go bowling with kids bowl free and parent’s pass (multiple times)
- Visit Sesame Place
- See the Imagination Movers at Sesame Place
- Visit the library and complete:
- Pick blueberries at Solebury Orchards
- Visit the Lavender Farm
- Visit Penn’s Landing
- Visit Kids Castle in Doylestown
- Go for a hike at Pennypack Ecological Preserve
- Visit the Crayola Factory
- Go see the Phillies play
- Visit a Peach Farm (Solly Brothers or ??)
- Explore Valley Forge Park (meet the cousins there!)
- Paint Pottery
- Visit Steamtown in Scranton
- Visit the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway
- Regal $1 movies! Check the schedule.
- Visit Chincoteague and Assenteague Island
- Garden at the CSA
- Help out at the Garden at school
- Visit the Bucks County Children’s Museum
- Visit the American Helicopter Museum (library has admission pass)
- Visit the National Liberty Museum (Library has admission pass)
This is a huge list. We most likely will not do all of them, but it's nice to dream...right?
Tomorrow I'll post a list of activities I have planned to do at home...science experiments to water shooter fights in the yard. Stay tuned!